Alvarez: Gaethje matchup will decide 'UFC's most violent man'



https://d13csqd2kn0ewr.cloudfront.net/uploads/image/file/272032/w640xh480_GettyImages-622492214.jpg?ts=1511884496
Eddie Alvarez cut a promo for the ages Monday ahead of his battle with Justin Gaethje. UFC 218's clash of fan favorites practically sells itself, but when asked whether Gaethje's typically violent self would show up Saturday in Detroit, all Alvarez could do was tell us to buckle up and expect nothing less than all-out war on "The MMA Hour."

"I'm gonna be honest, I don't f--kin' know, I don't have a crystal ball," Alvarez said. "I don't know what's going to happen on Saturday ... I don't and I'm not going to lie to the fans. I will say this, it's going to be f--kin' nuts because I've spent a good deal of this training camp working not giving a f--k myself and I've been fighting better and better the less I care. I don't have a crystal ball but I can tell fans right now, nobody better grab a f--ckin' soda or popcorn during the fight because it's going to be something special to watch."

A May no-contest opposite Dustin Poirier at UFC 211 notwithstanding, the former lightweight champ has yet to rebound from losing the crown to Conor McGregor by second-round knockout at UFC 205. Alvarez isn't concerned with McGregor's inactivity, though, nor with reclaiming the belt he lost 13 months ago. He has his sights set on claiming another distinction entirely.

"I kind of deal with the shit that I can control and right now there's a whole other title on the line and that's the 'UFC's most violent man.' And that title is on the line on Dec. 2." Having competed in a bevy of organizations, the Philadelphia native is no stranger to taking out former world champions, and with the UFC strap out of arm's reach, he'll gladly look to add another former titlist in Gaethje - a World Series of Fighting import - to his resume.

"For me, it's another champion under my belt beaten and I've made a career out of doing that. I can't get to the UFC belt right now. I'm realistic and I'm not getting that shot just yet, but this is the next best thing."