How I Stay Sane And Safe After Ditching My Car For A Motorcycle



https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--7yndTvMT--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/fpnyqw2saya6wtnqgwrs.jpg

"What do you mean, you don't possess a car?" The tall man in the cowhand cap asked, taking a gander at me like I'd recently arrived from Mars or New York. He may have respected my sheer chutzpah, however I question it. Inquiring as to why I don't at present claim a car is an inquiry I get frequently. I have a Triumph Sprint ST and Suzuki GSX-R as my fundamental methods for transportation. In the wake of disposing of my Nissan Sentra I just... didn't supplant it. In any event, not with something on four wheels.

What If It's Typhoon Or Sasquatch Weather?

I'm a strong advocate for wearing full gear as much as possible. Yes, you might have heard this philosophy called ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) because, frankly, it's a damn good idea. In typical Dallas summer weather, I wear an Alpinestars T-GP Plus R Air Jacket, which breathes really well, except for the lower part of the arms which are not mesh.

My main helmet is a Bell RS-1 with a Transitions shield. The Bell is a big step up from my previous Icon helmet. I wear TCX X-Tour EVO Gore-Tex boots and usually regular jeans. If I'm out for a fun ride, I'll throw on Resurgence moto jeans, or mesh motorcycle pants. There is nothing quite like having the wind in your trousers.

If it's cold, I still ride. My record is 28 degrees Fahrenheit on a ride to work with clear roads, and no precipitation or snow. Literally "freezing my arse" weather. I just wear my Icon Device Jacket which is leather and non-perforated. I put Dainese glove liners in my short-cuff RS Taichi gloves to keep my hands warm. I also have thick motorcycle jeans with kevlar in them. I do own a pair of Fieldsheer motorcycle pants that are very warm, but make me look like I'm catching for the Texas Rangers.

Yes, sometimes, I could be considered "stranded." But if we get snow or ice, which happens a couple of times a year, I can work from home, bum a ride with a coworker, or ride the train. If a typhoon or a yeti is on the loose, I stay inside, make s'mores and sing Kumbaya until it passes.